Whew! I have had a whirlwind past few weeks. After Texas State I headed to University of South Florida in Tampa where it was craziness 24/7. I arrived in the middle of their first day of recruitment and it was nonstop the rest of the time. They had a house, which was nice because I got my own room (which they later told me used to house some crazy chick from last year who secretly had a ferret living with her. After they told me that, one girl goes "SHHH! We weren't going to tell her that!"). Not that it mattered because I was averaging 2 to 4 hours of sleep a night, which I'm actually used to so it was barely an issue. However, that visit was definitely a visit of firsts. It was the first time I really started to feel homesick. It was probably a mixture of late nights, poor dinner (does popcorn count?) and having my boss at the visit with me (she was there to help the chapter, not to spy on me...I think...). Fortunately, after the recruitment hooplah died down, I was able to sit and chat with chapter members and get to know them a bit better. Whenever I get a chance to connect with the girls on a different level than Zeta songs or "BE QUIET", it always makes me feel a lot better. I really connected with a few of the girls and it helped remind me of why I love my job so much, even when I am homesick.
Another first was that I found I am slightly better with computers than I thought. There was a whole bunch of drama surrounding our national philanthropy video and I had to figure out how to take an un-burnable file and make it not only a burn-able file, but also burn it to a DVD. Easy enough. FALSE. I started this task around 11 p.m. and ended at about 4:30 a.m. I had to buy a new version of Quicktime, transfer the file from one location to the next, and then burn it on to a CD. Guess what? CD didn't burn. I try again. Doesn't burn again. Try again. BURNS! Doesn't play on a TV. This led to another first of mine. For the first time, I think, in my entire life I got to a point where I literally did not know what to do. I was 100% defeated and my computer knowledge only went so far. So, with that, I laid my head down for about two hours. I woke up and BAM! Just like that, I figured it out. I just needed to get away from it for a while. But, let me tell you, I felt like the biggest genius. I think I literally patted myself on the back. You may be thinking, "This is the lamest personal win I have ever heard". Well, my friend, to me, this was like winning the lottery. My instructions from my boss for the night were "Do not go to bed until that file is a DVD". Now do you understand?
BUT, one thing that stunk about this visit was that I was so busy all of the time that I barely took any pictures. I was starting to get really good at taking pictures, and then I epically failed again. There goes my picture-taking self-esteem... However, I did capture their super cute letters (above). I can only do so much when it comes to technology in one visit. It was either make the DVD or take pictures. Cut me some slack!
No comments:
Post a Comment