Friday, June 25, 2010

Luggage Trial

This past week I went on a little 5-day trip. I think we all know by now that if there weren't fees to check bags, I would have most certainly brought alone my gargantuan piece of luggage along with me. That might seem extreme, but lets be serious - you never know what may come about and it is only right to be fully prepared for any occasion (packing at least 3 outfits per day isn't overkill, is it?). Anyways, because of these horrendous fees, I managed to convince myself to only pack my carry-on. However, I was extremely surprised at A) how much I managed to fit in that little guy (2 pairs of shorts, 2 dresses, about 7 different shirts, 5 camis, 4 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of flips and 3 swim suits along with all my toiletries, etc....) and B) my intense packing skills I didn't previously knew I possessed. I fit all of that (and I will admit, was a bit much - never wore the dresses or shorts...) without using the expandable zipper. Holy canoli, as my ancestors would say (they actually wouldn't, but I just let myself think that)!

So, as I'm traipsing through the airport quite proud of myself and my packing feat, I get in line to board the plane and I look at the box where you can put your carry-on in to see if it will fit in the overhead bins. Because I'm a big fan of rules and order, I looked online and checked the regulations on the dimensions of the carry-on. My piece was in accordance to the regulations, so I figured I was good to go. However, seeing that box made me slightly freak out. My bag was definitely not fitting in that box. Either way, I was in no way going to pay to check it, so I got on the plane and attempted to fit my luggage in the overhead bin. I know, you're on the edge of your seat...did it fit?! Well, it did, but not without a struggle. I seriously had to shoulder-check that thing into the overhead bin. I didn't even pack anything in the front pockets! Fortunately, on one of the flights home, the plane was too small for anyone's carry-on bags, and I got to gate check the bag.

What did I learn from all of this? Well, that I'm a packing extraordinaire, first of all. Second, that if given the opportunity, go with the gate check. If I don't have a tight connecting flight, and if there is the option, I will most certainly gate check my bag. It will save me a ton of hassle (and potential embarrassment as I will, at some point, probably have my luggage fall on my head or work up an intense sweat just trying to put it up in the bin) and I can work the system and not have to pay for a checked bag...gotta love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment